Listen to My Favorites


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, August 15, 2010

That Good Feeling You Get Until You Realize You Messed It Up

Depressing title? Ehh, I know. Here's the story in a nutshell.
There's this site called Teen Ink, it's where teens (much like myself) post their stories, photos, poems, etc. Shaina is the one who got me hooked on it. I have pictures up there and I've submitted a short story and a few poems. Anyways, I got an email saying my story had been accepted. This made my day! I was so happy. So I go on the page to admire its beauty, right, and guess what I see. I submitted my version with all of my edits in it (edits in parentheses like this). Well, this did not make me happy at all. The good feeling was gone and I was so mad at myself for making a mistake like that. One of my friends said it was fine and that I could just tell people to ignore them, but I can't. Being the perfectionist I am I HAD to resubmit the story without the correction comments in it. That so did not make me happy. Then to make matters worse the site uploaded the wrong photo. WHAT THE HECK?! So now I have two stories that are the same and two photos with the same titles. Why am I so stupid sometimes? That got me thinking though, we all make mistakes, right? I mean some there's nothing we can do about them, but others we can.
Today at BYD we watched a Mormon Message video about a man and how he lost his wife and three of his children to a drunk teenage driver. He talked about the loneliness and grief he felt for them, but how he was thankful for his two sons that survived. Then he said how early on he decided if he were ever to lose someone to a drunk driver that he would let go and forgive. The man forgave the drunk teenage and told him that he should let go and move on with his life as well.
Now, submitting an edited version of a story doesn't seem like a big deal, but I think I just need to move on from it. Like a lot of things in life we just need to accept what happened and move on. The quote "forgive and forget" comes to mind and I think there's some truth to that. We don't want to just forgive if we don't really mean it, and I don't think just forgetting about things makes anything better. I think we do need to truly forgive and not forget, but remember how this experience strengthened us.

Okay, so I don't know why I went all deep there. Haha. This past week was filled with band camp funness. Why yes, I am the type of nerd who actually enjoys band camp for the most part. This week I have band and choir camp and then school starts! Ehhh, I'm looking forward to seeing my friends, but I'm not too sure about the school aspect. Maybe if my teachers are good I'll enjoy it more. That's about all really. There is more I could possibly talk about, but I don't want to bore you.

Oh, and here's a link to my short story "Escaping Fate"!
http://teenink.com/fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/238275/Escaping-Fate/

-Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment